Sunday, July 02, 2006

Yad Mordechai Pictures

Here are some of the pictures we took at Yad Mordechai when Howard and I visited visited Friday, June 30, 2006 with Yvonne and Eilon Friedman. They go together with the chatty e-mail that I sent out.

Dina

First the flowers:
Bougainvillea--very common too in Southern California but I love the cascade of flowers and profusion of bright colors

These were actually a light blue --called plumbago

Hibiscus--isn't it gorgeous?

Pasiflora (in Hebrew)--passion fruit flower, also known as granadilla. . The plant seemed to be a vine that could trail everywhere. Eilon looked under the profussion of vines and found some passionfruit too. Isn't this amazing???? It was about 3" or so in diameter.

Bougainvillea again but with a varigated leaf


On the left: lantana (it’s a kind of verbena) and on the right plumeria--which I am told has a lovely smell!


Isn't this stunning???? It is another plumeria.



These grapes were not actually taken at Yad Mordechai but at Kibbutz Shoval to the south...hanging outside of our friends' home.




Pomegranates growing on a tree Yvonne showing fig on fig tree

Yvonne pointing to tiny papayas on papaya tree

Unripe passion fruit on vine

Eilon alongside school fence with passion fruit vine growing on it


Dina picking small plums in plum bushes


Dry garden on Kibbutz Yad Mordechai

1 comment:

Tim Fid said...

This is a blast frm the Past for me . The Friedmans were my Kibbutz family in 85 and I later went back for ten weeks or so, the Oz winter in 92. IN fact it was a search on Friedman and Yad Morechai that got me here. Frankly I did not notice the flowers as much as the bizarre wild life, hoopoes , Chameleons and Hyrax, things I had read about but never seen well I don't think so, perhaps B'halom. The Grenadine as shown in the photos too was interesting as I had read about it when studying Fr. but had never seen it in real life. Yad was a real eye opener to me. I had a Fr room mate , by accident, so I got to hear Simple English, Hebrew and French every day. Total immersion. A baptism ! It was probably the first time I had heard German spoken regularly but .. we won't go there. Volunteers at Yad are no more. Yvonne was also a vol from years very much gone by. It's a great pity the volunteer system has been shut down but the economics and perhaps the antisocial antics of some vols forced the issue. Tim Fidler 2020.